Anglophone Students In Uy2 - Soa Rejoice As Dean Promotes Bilingualism
It all started on Tuesday the 19th of march 2019 at about 1:15pm, when the 1st meeting was organized at the Decanat of the Faculty of Economics Science and Management ‘’FSEG’’ UY2 SOA, by the Vice DEAN In charge of students’ academic affairs in the person of Dr ATALA. This meeting was presided over by the vice dean in charge of students’ academic affairs, and assisted by members of the FSEG like Dr NJIKAM, and representatives of the anglophone students repetition groups in the FSEG SOA like; Sir PROMISE who is the legal representative of group YOUNG ACADEMIC LEADERS ‘’YAL’’.
The main agenda of this 1st meeting was to talk about the problems faced by anglophone students in the FSEG, to understand the reasons for the poor attendance of amphi classes by the anglophone students of the faculty, and to come up proposed recommendations to help these students, to promote bilingualism and multiculturalism on campus, to ease the social integration of the anglophone students in the university milieu, and to create a more condusive and comfortable academic environment for both the English and French speaking students.
The second meeting took place on Monday the 25th of march 2019, and the agenda of this meeting was just to evaluate the proposed recommendations made by the representatives of the anglophone students repetition groups in soa. This meeting was still attended by all the same personalities of both the school administration and the the leaders of the English repetition groups in soa.
This meeting ended up in a more favourable results for the anglophone students in the FSEG, and the following promises and recommendations were made by the vice dean in charge of students’ academic affairs as a measure to solve the problem of non-attendance of amphi classes by the anglophone students in the faculty of economic science and management.
- At least 30% of the courses in the FSEG will subsequently be in English to help encourage the anglophone students in attending Amphi classes
- All repetition groups should encourage their students to attend amphi classes, and group leaders should allow only those students who show proves of attending amphi classes to enter their repetition groups.
- All anglophone students should attend their Amphi classes in order to adapt to their new academic environment.
- Repetition classes are good and permitted for the anglophone students in other to render them more competitive, to increase their degree of success, and to promote their English culture.
- Only the following English repetition groups such as ‘YOUNG ACADEMIC LEADERS, that attended the first and second meetings are authorized and recognized by the administration of FSEG to continue with English repetition classes in the FSEG in the UY2 SOA. Any group apart from the above mentioned are not recognized and authorized by the campus, and can be sanctioned if caught with students anywhere doing English repetition classes.
- Any other English repetition group that comes up in the nearest future under this faculty, will need an authorization from the association of the English repetition groups in the FSEG and from the school administration before carrying out their activity.
- Other measures will be taken by the administration of the FSEG socially, morally, and even financially to promote the growth, success and the culture of the anglophone students in the FSEG in the University of yaounde 2 soa, to promote bilingualism and multiculturalism on campus and Cameroon at large in other to build a peaceful, great and prosperous Cameroon towards the achievement of an emerging Cameroon by 2035.